It is possible to easily create a new table in any folder of CARES NG® file management system; go into the folder of interest and click on the button which is on the top right corner. A drop-down menu containing the list of the table types you can create is displayed, as shown in the figure below.
Select the table type you want to create. CARES NG® automatically creates a new empty table as shown in the following picture. The only exception is Residue From PDP; this option opens a special tool which allows you to create a Residue Concentration table with the data contained into the PDP database, as described in the PDP tool page.
To assign a name to the new table, type it in the input field New Table and then either press Enter or click on . For example, you are creating a new chemical table and you want to call it “Test Chemical Table”. Type the name ”Test Chemical Table” in the input field and press Enter.
If you select Create New Folder from the menu above, the program automatically creates a new folder as shown below. The process for assigning a name to the new folder is the same of naming a new table.
How to populate a new table
The table you have just created is now ready to be populated with data. Click on the name of the table to open it. You will be presented with a table looking like an Excel spreadsheet with a number of columns having predefined headers. The column headers of each table are listed in the Table Types page.
Type the data in the table cells as you would do in an Excel file. The table validation process implemented in CARES NG® continuously checks that the format of data inserted in the tables is correct. Data in the wrong format and blank cells will be automatically highlighted so the user knows immediately if there are errors in the table. Please refer to the Data Editor Tools page of this tutorial for more information on the validation process.
New data are immediately saved without pressing any Save button.
Once all the data are correctly written into the table, close it by clicking on the icon on the top left corner of the screen.
Upload a csv file
It is possible to create and populate a new table with data coming from a csv file. The csv file to be uploaded must have the same number of columns of the table to be created. If the columns of the csv file have different names than the columns of the CARES NG® table, the import process will ask you to match the two column sets through an intuitive and user-friendly process. You can download a template for each table from the Table types page. The templates are Excel files but you can easily create an importable csv file in the following way:
- Insert all the data you wish to import into the Excel file
- Click on File > Save as in the main menu at the top
- Write the name of the file in the input field File name:
- Select the option CSV (Comma delimited) in the drop-down list of the input field Save as type:
- Click on Save
Follow these steps to import a csv file:
- Go in the folder where you want to create the new table
- Click on the import icon on the top right corner of the file management system. Click on Import.
- CARES NG® will present you the following window
- Click on the button. You are presented with a popup window which allows you to browse in your computer and select the csv file of interest.
- Select the csv file and click on the button Open
- The name of the file to be uploaded appears in place of the button , as shown below.
- Select the type of table to be created by clicking on the appropriate white button.
- Before importing the file, you can change the following settings:
- Table Name: it is possible to change the name of the new table.
- Columns are delimited by: this is a setting related to the csv file; its columns can be delimited by Commas, Semicolon or Tab
- Columns are quoted by: this is another setting related to the csv file; its data can be quoted between Quote(“) or Single quote(‘)
- Once you are happy with the import settings, click on